Cosmetic dentistry offers many options to help you achieve a great smile. Here's what you need to know about teeth whitening.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is the process of lightening and brightening your teeth. This procedure is one of many cosmetic dental services your dentist may offer.
What are the benefits of teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening can boost your self-confidence and make you feel better about your smile. It's also a relatively simple and inexpensive way to improve your appearance.
How does teeth whitening work?
The active ingredient in most teeth whiteners is hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These chemicals break down into oxygen molecules that penetrate your teeth and break up stains.
Are there different ways to whiten teeth?
There are a number of ways to do this, including:
- Bleaching. This is the most common and effective method of teeth whitening because it uses the highest concentration of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
- Nonbleaching whiteners. These products usually contain abrasives or chemicals that help remove surface stains from your teeth.
- Laser treatment. In this procedure, a whitening gel is applied to your teeth, and then a laser is used to activate the gel. The process usually takes place in your dentist's office and may require one or two visits.
- At-home kits. You can find a number of teeth whitening products at your local drugstore or online. These typically contain lower concentrations of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide and may require multiple applications to see results.
Additionally, there are a number of natural teeth whitening methods that you can try, such as using baking soda or coconut oil.
How long do teeth whitening results last?
The length of time your results last will depend on the type of treatment you use, as well as how well you take care of your teeth after the cosmetic dental procedure.
How do you maintain white teeth after whitening?
Once your teeth have been successfully whitened, you'll need to take some steps to maintain your new smile. This includes:
- Brushing and flossing regularly. This will help remove any plaque or tartar that can cause staining.
- Using whitening toothpaste. This type of toothpaste is designed to remove surface stains and can help keep your teeth looking bright.
- Avoid staining foods and drinks. Coffee, tea, and red wine are all known to cause staining. If you can't avoid them altogether, be sure to brush your teeth afterward.
- Touching up your teeth regularly. You may need to whiten your teeth every few months to keep them looking their best.
- Dental cleanings. Be sure to visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings from the hygienist. This will help remove any build-up on your teeth that could cause staining.
- Stop smoking. Cigarettes not only cause staining, but they also increase your risk of gum disease.
Teeth whitening is a popular procedure in cosmetic dentistry that can boost your confidence and make you feel better about your smile. Call your dentist today for more information.Share